Monday, February 8, 2010

Free to $5

Hello Friends,
I have good news and bad news.  I'll tell you the bad news first, because the good news won't make sense otherwise.

So here it is...  A series of unexpected car issues - on the heels of some major heating/air conditioning issues - has left the Hometown Tourist with a significantly reduced budget.  Sure, I could keep pulling out the plastic.  That's soooo easy to do...  Still, I'd rather not spend the next 10 years paying interest on my excursions. 

But I'm not ready to throw in the towel, either.  And I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who needs to do a little belt-tightening these days.  So for the next month, I'm looking for great things to do for the great price of FREE!  (Or up to $5.00  A girl's gotta live a little, right?!)

And that's the good news.  If you're looking for some fun on a budget, this will be the place to check in.  And if you have ideas, please share!  In spite of these lovely winter temperatures, I know we can find some great ways to have fun and stave off the winter blues without breaking the bank.

3 comments:

  1. after a quick google search: The Bemis Center for the Contemporary Arts, on 12th and Leavenworth, is free admission and parking. Plus, you get the added feel-good of knowing that you're supporting your local art community! http://www.bemiscenter.org/residency/index.html

    El Museo Latino is on 25th and L, admission is $5, parking is free. They have an exhibit through March 13 on Carnival. Looks really interesting to me! http://www.elmuseolatino.org/

    There's also a Czech Museum, at 2021 U Street, and a Great Plains Black History Museum, at 2213 Lake. Both of them say they charge admission on the website I found, but neither list what it is. http://www.superpages.com/cities/Omaha-NE/museums.html

    I have a feeling it'll snowball for you - if you find one place that's free or inexpensive, they'll probably have information for you on other places in the area. Sounds like a great way to explore Omaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go, Abby:

    It's an urban wetland and it's free. You can't take your dog though. It's Heron Haven! It's located at about 118th and Old Maple Rd. Here's a virtual peek at it in winter: http://www.archive.org/details/HowToSaveAWetland

    glenn s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - Thanks for the tip about looking into museums and art galleries. I'm going to a free gallery opening tonight that I'm really looking forward to.

    Glenn - Thanks for putting me on to Heron Haven. I meant to tell you that I stopped out there last Friday, but I arrived just as Ione was closing up shop. She gave me a quick tour of the nature center, but I definitely want to get back there and spend more time exploring - hopefully on a sunny day when I can get some good pictures!

    ReplyDelete