Saturday, April 17, 2010

Local and Global - Blue Summit

Hello Friends,
Thanks to a tip from a fellow tourist, I discovered another gem in my hometown this week.  I'd driven by it many times before, but it had never caught my attention.  On the outside, it's a rather plain looking store - a small, square island on an ocean of concrete on South 120th Street.  But looks can be deceiving.

Inside Blue Summit (4101 S 120th Street), I found a treasure trove of unique items created by artisans from around the world.   Better yet, I learned how Blue Summit is a member of the Fair Trade Federation.  Their goods comes from over 50 developing countries - including Haiti, Vietnam, Uganda, and Nicaragua - and every artisan represented in the store has received a fair, sustainable wage for his/her work. 

The sales clerk I talked with was very welcoming and knowledgeable about the store's merchandise and the people who created it.  When I mentioned that I've always been interested in Vietnam, she showed me a number of pieces, including the green and white planter below (in the center of the top shelf) and the tart burner (lower level on the left).  My favorite was a blue and white tea set, but I'm not posting a picture of that.  (I'm hoping it will still be there when I go back!)
Many items have a story that goes with them.  For example, the bangle picture frame and box below have a card explaining how women in India collect broken glass from the streets and transform that "trash" into these beautiful, functional pieces.  (Click on the photo to see it larger.)
This purse by Global Girlfriends is another great example of "fair trade" meeting "earth friendly."  The artisans recycled plastic to make the fabric for the purse.  It's also cute and practical.  The inside has a zippered pocket for storing personal items and an open pocket for a cell phone. 
 These orange peel dolls from Bolivia were too cute.  (And they smelled good, too!)
The children's corner had some cute books, toys, and instruments.  I was excited about the drums...
Near the front counter, necklaces and bracelets by Bead for Life hang in two colorful rows.  The clerk explained that the beads are made by Ugandan women from recycled paper.  In addition to providing jobs for women in poverty, the company also supports vocational training, affordable housing, and health programs in Uganda. (I had no idea recycled paper could look like this...)
Other items in the store included coffee, chocolate, baskets, clothing, sculpture, lotions, candles, stationary, and more.  The prices were comparable to what you would pay in other stores.  You can find great products with great stories behind them and know that your money is going to support a great cause.  Having a store like this in Omaha makes me feel proud of our community.  Hope you'll stop in and check it out soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment